Monday, October 4, 2010

Ich wunshce Ihnen eine angenehme Reise.

Guten tag!
Ich heibe Jenny.
Ich bin American.
Ich komme aus New Jersey.
Wo ist der taxistand?
Wo ist die toilette?

These are the very few phrases I have learned so far... I clearly have a lot more to learn. I can't possibly  maintain any conversation with a native German with phrases consisting of Hello! My name is, I'm American, I'm from New Jersey, Where is the taxi stand? Where is the bathroom?

Clearly, I have a long way to go and very little time to do it. Learning how to get by on some more German was my intention... knowing that now I need to get by on a pathetic amount of German and lots of physical movements in the hopes that most people speak English (silly spoiled American) is my reality.

I'm off in two days time to my very first book fair in Frankfurt, Germany to show this book off ;), to share this book with many, to begin a lot of talk about this book and to hopefully have some German publishing company wish to publish my book in German.  All of this planned just in time to get the "travel warning"... so sad... so depressing...so scary really.

Like I haven't been all sorts of messy and stressed out about this trip already and what it means for me... the beginning of something, I hope! Let's throw in some fear of ....you know...can't bring myself to say it.

Nevertheless, aside from this fear and these nerves, I feel quite fantastic. As if I could separate all of these different feelings into little compartments, I've managed to feel quite pleased... Today, I received one expected package and one unexpected email.

The expected contained my PROOF copy of the book (yay!)... that I will need to examine very very closely so I can approve it... This means (after my approval) all will be set in motion more so than it has been already.

The unexpected came from the very reason I became a teacher... the very reason I wrote a book for children. It was an email and it was adorable and funny and honest but most of all it contained an "I miss English class from last year." and, well, you know... which person on earth wouldn't want to be missed by the very reason he or she works so hard for???

Sooooo..... so what...my German is pathetic? Who needs to master this language a bit more in order to get by these next few days??? Well, me ....but honestly, today (right now) I can't seem to sit still with all the bubbly happiness stirring up inside of me... I guess, this German will have to do...just have to do!

And, in the end, when all is said and done, I wish myself this and this here only, and I hope you do too...

Ich wunshce Ihnen eine angenehme Reise.

Because it means " I hope you have a pleasant journey."  ... I wish this for myself so very much...

All my love,
Jenny
x
I will try to post while in Germany, but most likely it will not happen until I return! I may even add some pictures of the entire experience as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment